Monday, November 10, 2008

Lessons

I learned a great lesson today.

Friends come in all shapes and sizes and ages. In different forms, at different times, and for different purposes. I have had many friends that were older than me, who were at times, like parents. And I have felt that I have had friends, that at times, needed my motherly love. Today I got a chance to be a friend, offering hospitality, advice and encouragement, a shoulder, and some prayer.

My lesson today was "don't sweat the small stuff." There is a much bigger picture. If we fixate on things that are of no importance, for example habits that bug us, or ways people can disappoint us, then we miss the opportunity to create a friend, or to be a good friend. It's too easy to focus on something other than the opportunity to laugh with, or pray for, someone who is in our life for a reason. (This was not the first time I have had this lesson, but it was a little different this time.) We need to see as God sees. We need to look at what they ARE offering, or what WE can offer them.

This "don't sweat the small stuff" thing can be translated into a "pick your battles" theme in relation to parenting. So I'm trying to do that today. What's more important, a cleaner house, or a hour spent reading stories to a lapful of my babies . Lying may be wrong, but it provides a great opportunity to look at why we should tell the truth, instead of punishing the deed, hopefully with a better result. Learning how to obey, and pick up your toys when mommy asks is important, but so is the fact that mommy can have fun and play and encourage creativity. The rod of discipline can come another time. There are plenty of opportunities for that! :D

So though this was more serious than lighthearted, I hope that today I was a good friend and a good mommy.

Lord, help me to be patient, and trustworthy, and loving every day. Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him." The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; Lam 3:22-25

0 comments:

Post a Comment