Monday, February 21, 2011

Crumb-Topped Cocoa Banana Bread

I promise you won't be disappointed. This bread is so delicious. It's the only banana bread I make. Once you've had it, regular banana bread seems so... boring, plain, bland. I don't even put butter on it when I eat it, it's that good. I have no idea where I found the recipe so sorry to you who I may be copying. It's unintentional. Apparently it's a common recipe. Who knew?


Crumb Topped Cocoa Banana Bread. Or simply, Chocolate Banana Bread.

1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cup sugar
6 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 extra ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)

Crumb Topping
3 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp soft butter
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp cinnamon

  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom only of a 9x5x3" loaf pan.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. Add eggs, oil and banana, and stir with a spoon just until all ingredients are blended. Spoon batter into the greased pan. Batter will be kind of thick.
  3. Prepare crumb topping by mixing with a fork in a small bowl until fine crumbs form. Sprinkle topping evenly over the top of the bread batter.
  4. Bake 55-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Make sure you do this.
  5. Cool 10 minutes, then loosen loaf from pan and remove. Place on a wire rack to cool. Store in refrigerator, if it lasts that long.
Note: The recipe, and the 5 million other identical recipes I found online when trying to correct the mistake, all omitted baking powder out of the ingredients list, but not the instructions. I just noticed this, apparently. So I have never made it with baking power. Maybe this is why it occasionally falls in the middle? I always attributed it to the topping or too much banana. To combat that, I would sprinkle my topping most heavily on the sides, and more lightly down the middle. I did nothing special to make the topping come down the sides, it just does that as it bakes and looks really nice.

Sorry it took so long to finally post this. I made it this morning (and I'm gonna go eat some RIGHT NOW!!) and thought hey, I'll post that. :D You're welcome.

0 comments:

Post a Comment