Thursday, December 3, 2009

So good.

mmm... Mom. What smells so good?

Oh, just this.



The smell of natural, sweet goodness, caramelizing. mmmm...




I think this is so beautiful. It glistened when I pulled it from the oven. All the colors, and then the browning from the oven. Love it. And later, we'll be enjoying some delicious "pumpkin" bars. (Pumpkin, squash. Same thing. Though King Kong would disagree.)

I also used the seeds from these squash and made "pumpkin seeds." They were really tasty. And very easy. And very healthy. My kids love them! And possibly even better than actual pumpkin seeds. Not tough, nice and crispy, and just a bit smaller. Makes me wish I didn't throw most of them in the gargage before I remembered I wanted to bake them. Oh well.

I scooped out the guts, seperated most of the gunk from the seeds, and rinsed them. Then I patted them dry (mostly) in a paper towel. I placed them in a bowl, added a bit of olive oil (1 tsp to 1 Tbsp, depending on how many you have), sprinkled them with a bit of salt (I used season salt, but you could use regular, garlic salt, kosher salt, cajun seasoning, any seasoning really), spread them out on a pan, and baked at 300 degrees for 30 mins, til golden brown. Delish!

0 comments:

Post a Comment